Thursday, October 25, 2012

80 Bottles of Polish on the Wall...

...or in a very large container in my dresser. Yes, my friends, I have 80 individual colors in my nail polish collection. This does not include duplicates (colors I obviously loved so much I bought twice), base coats, top coats, or clear nail polish.

Some may say this is a problem (I go back and forth), but my roommate, Aravinda, put it nicely - if you have an obsession, blog about it. It makes it legit.

To better keep track of my colors and to really get a feel for what each of them looks like on the nail, I made colors wheels for each color family. It just might be the best idea I've had for my collection so far. Next - organization. I'm thinking spice racks? But, more on that later...

Brace yourselves and let's jump into the wonderful world of color!

Color Wheel #1: Neutral/Dark



This wheel ranges from nudes (very top) to deep, dark colors that look almost black, but in reality are deep purples, greens, and blues (right) to grays and browns (left). This palate is my most reached for this season. In the past, I didn't really enjoy fall colors and just kept the summer colors on my nails through the dreary fall and winter days. However, this season I've gone a bit "neutral crazy" and most of these colors are recent additions to my collection. 

Must Have: Essie "No More Film"



Color Wheel #2: Red & Purple


This wheel needs a little lovin'. Just like neutrals, I shied away from reds in the past because, frankly, I think they make my hands look old. I know, it's ridiculous. Nevertheless - I am just finding some red colors I really enjoy. So far, so good! As for purples, I initially love most of the purple colors I find, but when I test them out, many of them look the same. Every nail polish line has a "pastel purple" that looks identical to the next one and none of the brands are trying anything different with their purples. I'd love to see a purple with a hint of pink that doesn't make the polish look like a pre-teen girl should be wearing it. Come on, Essie! 

Must Have: Essie "Skirting The Issue"



Color Wheel #3: Blue & Green


I can honestly say that I didn't realize just how many green nail polishes I had until I decided to do the color wheels. Holy cow! I think I may have found my weakness. Shades of green can differ from minty  to Kermit to teal like the ocean and I love it all. You can wear green all year round and it definitely brings out a playfulness on your nails. On the other hand (no pun intended), blues are much harder to wear. Unless you've got a wonderful skin tone or are a bit sun-kissed, blues tend to make your hands look a little sickly. 

Must Have: Essie "Mojito Madness"



Color Wheel #4: Pink


The epitome of nail polish colors for me is pink. There are endless shades, anyone can wear them, and they are ever-so-feminine. Mine range from the palest of pinks - perfect for a simple french manicure - to hot pink like Barbie's dream car. No complaints in the pink department, there is not a pink I've found that I didn't love. 

Must Have: Essie "Fiji" 



Nail Wheel #5: Odd Balls 


This wheel is all of the random colors that didn't fit into another color family. Yellow, coral, silver, bronze, and glitter polishes. This is the "fun" wheel. Yellow is difficult because outside of Butter London's "Cheeky Chops", there really isn't a good creamy yellow color. I should also mention that Butter London polish goes for about $12 a bottle - insane, even for me. On the flip side, there are about a million and one wonderful glitter polishes ranging in color, glitter size & shape, and consistency. The glitter can float in a base color or in clear polish, but no matter the form, it's a bitch to take off. 

Must Have: Essie "Cute As A Button"



If you couldn't tell before - I have a love affair with Essie polish. Really, try it. Smoothest formula, never clumps, dries evenly, and the brush is the perfect width to paint on color in two easy strokes. I promise, this is not sponsored! 

Phew! We made it. Moral of the story - something special will happen when I eventually hit 100 (and I definitely will because I have discovered I'm missing entire color families). I'm not sure what, but probably a cake because there should always be cake. 

1 comment:

  1. Yayy! Cake party when we hit 100...can't wait! Loved reading this. :)

    ReplyDelete